DIY Chalkboard Bunting

8:00 AM




Tomorrow is Halloween!! Are you ready? Is your costume prepped? Have you bought your candy? As with every year, I am struck by how strange this holiday is. But I'm not arguing. I love holidays. They're opportunities to make memories with friends and family, have fun, and forget about the daily grind of life. So have fun tomorrow, whatever you're doing (but do be safe!).

This chalkboard bunting is so versatile. I decided to spell out "Happy Halloween", but you can pick any phrase, and change it up whenever you want! I'm totally going to bring it back out for Christmas and New Year's. It's super easy to make and very inexpensive. The only material you may not have already is chalkboard paint, which you can easily pick up at Michael's.




Materials:

  • chalkboard paint
  • cardboard
  • scissors
  • paintbrush
  • hole-puncher
  • ruler
  • length of rope or string


Step 1: On a piece of cardboard, draw one of the flags. I did this by first drawing a 4" x 3" rectangle.


I then made a one-inch mark at the halfway point of the 4" inch line.


After that, I created a triangle by drawing a line from each of the bottom corners of the rectangle to the point of the one-inch mark. Cut the flag out, then use it as a template for the other flags. I cut out a total of fourteen flags so I could spell out "Happy Halloween". I found that this number is enough for pretty much any other phrase as well: Happy Birthday, Happy Fall, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, etc.


Step 2: Use a hole-puncher to make two holes in each flag.


Step 3: Paint a thin layer of chalkboard paint on each flag. Allow this first layer to dry, then paint on a second layer. String each flag onto a length of rope, write your message, and hang.

I hope you are having a wonderful fall season! Have a fun and safe Halloween tomorrow!

Check out some other fall-themed DIYs:
Wood Slice Chalkboard
Leaf Garland
Painted Craft Pumpkin

No comments:

Post a Comment