DIY Ombre Succulent Pot

1:46 PM


Word is going around that "plant lady" is the new "cat lady", though I think I fall into both categories. I obviously love cats, and succulents have been growing on me (no pun intended!). Especially when my dad brought home this little guy! Actually, it's a girl. And her name is Ginny after Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter because it's a red-headed Irishman cactus, so obviously that was the most suitable name.

I've had her in a jar for a while, and it looked cute and all, but then she began to tip over and fall right out of her jar! I realized it was because she was growing and becoming top-heavy. So, I decided she needed a new home.

See what I mean? Plant lady for sure.



After browsing Pinterest, I decided to paint this pot an ombre blue. Follow along below to paint your own! 


Materials:

  • Terra cotta pot
  • Succulent
  • White paint
  • Blue paint (or a color of your choice)
  • Palette (or you can just use a paper plate/empty egg carton)
  • Paintbrush
  • Mod Podge
  • Soil
  • Pebbles


Step 1: Cover the pot with a layer of white paint. Let dry, then paint another coat.


Step 2: On your palette, create five different groups of paint--one blue and four white.


Step 3: Lightly dip a paintbrush into the blue paint. Make sure there is only a very small amount of paint on the brush. Mix it into section 1 (see picture above). Repeat with section 2, but this time with a little more blue paint. Continue this until all four sections of white paint are varying shades of blue, from light to dark.


Step 4: Start painting the bottom of the pot with the darkest shade of blue. Then, paint a layer of the second darkest shade just above the darkest shade. Blend them together as best as you can. It doesn't have to be perfect. I actually found that the less I messed with it, the better it turned out. Continue until you get to the lightest shade. Allow this layer to fade into the white. Let dry. Add a layer of mod podge to seal it.

When you're ready to plant, add a few pebbles at the bottom of the pot to help with drainage, then add some soil and your succulent and you're done! All that's left is to give it a name (if you haven't already!). I'm obviously of the firm belief that all succulents should have a name.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment