DIY Hand Warmers

2:58 PM


I know there hasn't been a crafty post here in a while, but recently all of my crafty energy has been poured into my Etsy shop... not that you could tell by looking. I recently started experimenting with Adobe Illustrator... which takes some time to master. But I'll have some new listings up soon. 

This craft will make up for my recent crafty hiatus. DIY hand warmers! It's an easy, fast, and useful way to use up all that scrap fabric! In the middle of January, its freezing cold (yes, even in California, I swear!), so every little bit counts. I tried these out and they feel so good on cold hands and keep their heat for quite a while. Plus, they're small enough to fit inside gloves!



Okay, so here's what you need:

  • 3-inch fabric squares (two per hand warmer)
  • matching thread
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
  • rice
  • funnel


Step 1 Place two coordinating squares of fabric together with right sides facing. Sew around the edge, leaving a 1 1/2 inch gap for inserting the rice. Be sure to back stitch!


Step 2 Snip the corners and turn right side out.


Step 3 Using a funnel, fill the hand warmer halfway full with rice. Sew the opening close, then continue top-stitching around the edges of the hand warmer. It's tricky with the rice inside, but just use your fingers to push the grains to the side, out of the way of the needle.

When you want to use them, simply place them in the microwave for 20 seconds or less. Handle them carefully--they'll be hot!

 ^^yeah, that's my cat^^



That's it! I loved this little DIY. And I'm definitely using these on Monday on the way to school. Do you think my first period teacher will let me heat them up with her microwave?

No comments:

Post a Comment