DIY Fabric Bins

11:15 AM


This Friday I'll be getting the keys to my very first apartment! I am so excited!!! I am really looking forward to decorating it, especially my room! Ever since my friends and I signed the lease (seven months ago!!!), I've been dreaming about how to fill the space. Altogether the apartment is 1,572 square feet. So much room! (It's technically a townhouse, not an apartment.)

And, of course, this also means that I've been sewing up a storm! I wanted to share my latest little project that I've been working on for the apartment. I'm not entirely sure what to call them. Fabric baskets? Fabric storage containers? The tutorial I used called them fabric bins, so let's go with that.

\

I used this tutorial from the Birch Fabrics blog, with a few modifications. Instead of using fusible Pellon, I used canvas and home decor fabrics to make the bins. This made them sturdy enough to stand up on their own, so they didn't need any interfacing. For the outside, I used duck canvas fabric. It is so sturdy and relatively inexpensive. Plus, I got it on sale! For the lining, I used home decor fabric, which is still pretty thick, but not quite as heavy-duty as duck canvas fabric. On average, each bin was about $5. 


The blue one was made from the small template and the gray one was made from the large template. For the orange one, I multiplied the dimensions of the large template by 1.5 to make an even larger bin. They all turned out so cute!


Also, instead of sewing around the edge at the very end, I just used a slip stitch to close up the 3-inch gap. Then, after folding the top over, I ironed all of the edges and corners to make it look more boxy. It just looks so much more finished with sharp edges! 


I loved this tutorial because it was super super easy!! You really only sew a few straight lines and you're done! Plus, I was impressed by how well the corners turned out at the end. (Getting sharp corners is a constant struggle for sewers!) In addition to storage, these bins would also be perfect for giving gifts in! And they only take under an hour to make. (Or even less if you're a faster sewer than me!) I can't wait to see how they look in my apartment! Handmade bits and bobs always make a space feel cozier and more like home. 

1 comment:

  1. This is such a lovely and very useful project. Thank you for sharing this great idea with us.

    Hannah
    Ketterman Rowland & Westlund

    ReplyDelete