Recent Reads

8:00 AM


I love an excuse to talk about books, and this blog is the perfect excuse! As you probably know, I'm trying to read 52 books this year -- one for every week of the year -- and somehow, I'm still on track with my goal! Week 27 is ending today, and I've read 28 books so far. I am currently reading The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan. I've been reading Riordan's books since I was in 6th grade. His Percy Jackson series will always be one of my favorites. That series is largely responsible for helping me develop my love of reading, which, believe it or not, was nonexistent until around 9th grade. So, even though Riordan's books are below my reading level now, I still faithfully try to read his new books (which he cranks out like crazy!).

Now onto books I've already read!

The Likeness by Tana French
Amazon // Goodreads

This one was so good!! I gave it five stars, which is high praise from me. It's the second book in the Dublin Murder Squad series. The first book is called In the Woods and, while it was a good book, it wasn't great. But I'm so glad I gave the second book a try! I feel like I can't describe the book well enough to do it justice, so I'll just say that the characters made the book. They were so interesting. Also, you don't really need to read the first book to understand the second, so feel free to jump right into The Likeness!

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Amazon // Goodreads

Yes, yes, another World War II book. But you've got to admit that, no matter how many World War II books you've already read, it's a subject that makes for really good books. I mean, three of my favorite books, The Book ThiefThe Nightingale, and Lilac Girls, are all set during World War II. Salt to the Sea is a really interesting read because it's told in four very different points of view. It's a bit different from the other World War II books I've read because all of the main characters are teenagers, so it's sort of like a young adult World War II novel, which I actually haven't come across before.

Here Be Monsters by Alan Snow
Amazon // Goodreads

I just had to include this one! It's actually a children's book, but I love it so much that I've read it multiple times. When I say children's book, be warned that it's not a small book. It's over 500 pages, but it does have lots of cute illustrations throughout. It has been made into a movie, but, as always, the book is better than the movie. I just love reading about the boxtrolls and the cabbageheads. They're adorable.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Amazon // Goodreads

This one's a classic. Every girl should read Anne of Green Gables at least once in her life. It's such a charming, happy story. I'm trying to read the whole series this summer, in addition to watching all the movies and TV series out there that are based on it. I've already finished the Netflix series Anne with an E. It was amazing! Now I'm really hoping that they make a second season!

The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater
Amazon (12) // Goodreads (12)

These two books are part of the Raven Cycle series, which I have recently become obsessed with! I've only read the first two books so far, but I'm looking forward to reading the third and fourth soon. Like The Likeness, the characters really make the books. Each main character is vastly different from the rest. Four boys (Adam, Noah, Gansey, and Ronan) and one girl (Blue) become involved in a supernatural quest to find the ancient Welsh king Glendower. Stiefvater has a way of making you feel so fond of all the characters (even trouble-making Ronan). From their home in Monmouth Manufacturing to Gansey's beloved orange Camaro to the chaos of 300 Fox Way, Stiefvater brings you into the world she has built and makes you feel connected.

The Muse by Jessie Burton
Amazon // Goodreads

I loved this book because of the way Burton weaves together two stories, one from 1936 and one from 1967. You know those books that bring everything together in the end in a way that suddenly clicks? This book does that. It keeps you guessing the whole time and finally reveals the connections in the end. The ending was surprising, especially because most of my guesses were wrong!

Sorry if I added more books to your never-ending To Be Read list. (I totally understand -- mine is 88 books long on Goodreads!!) If you missed my last recent reads post (and want to add even more books to your list!), you can check it out here! And I'll be sure to do yet another one of these posts in a couple months after I do more reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment