Quilt Inspiration

1:47 PM


This year I made a few of what I decided to call "Bullet Point Resolutions". They are little, random things that I want to make sure to do this year that don't really have anything to do with my main resolution. For example, a few of my bullet point resolutions are drinking more water and reading more and exercising.

Also on that list is starting a quilt! Even though we're already in the fifth month of 2017 and I have yet to get a good start on this one, I still fully intend to do it. And, besides, I have made a little progress. I bought my batting, for example, and practiced quilting techniques with some smaller projects. I'm planning to complete the bulk of my quilt this summer.

The main thing I've done in preparation is search for inspiration. Since making a quilt is going to be a relatively big project in terms of money and time commitment, I want to be sure that I am happy with the result. For me, the hardest part in this process is going to be making the decisions. I'm okay with the cutting and the sewing, but its picking out the fabric and choosing the pattern that are the most daunting steps to me. To help in this process, I have collected a few images of quilts that I like so that I can start to get a feel for what I want mine to look like. I thought I'd share some of my inspiration here. (I've included sources to all of the quilts below!)


As I collected inspiration, I noticed that I am definitely not set on a color scheme yet. I found myself picking quilts with a variety of different color schemes and I have no clear preference towards any one of them. There were some small similarities though. All of the ones I liked had some element of white in them, and a lot of them had some pinks, too. I have a feeling I'm not going to end up deciding on the colors until I'm actually at the fabric store, wandering the aisles for a couple hours and putting fabrics together until I'm happy with the result. So, really, planning out a color scheme beforehand is probably not going to help much in the end anyway.

I'm just about as decided on the pattern as I am on the color scheme. I love the triangle quilts, but I also love ordinary squares. I think that quilt in the top left corner might be my very favorite, but I'm unsure as to whether I like it because of the pattern, the color, or the photography. Another problem with basing my quilt on a specific example is that its easy to be disappointed because you automatically compare yours to the example.

As far as fabric, I think I actually have made a solid decision. I liked the idea of using a soft Minky fabric to go underneath, like the example in the bottom right corner, but I decided to go for 100% cotton. The main reason is so that all the fabric behaves the same when the quilt is all assembled. It shrinks the same and wears the same. Plus, most quilting fabrics are 100% cotton already, so it makes everything easier.

Who knew quilting could be so complex? It's probably just me over-complicating things. But, either way, it is still super fun to look at inspiration and dream about all the possibilities! I really can't wait to get started!

Sources (left to right, top to bottom): 1 // 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6

No comments:

Post a Comment