DIY Wall Hanging

5:24 PM


I'm going to be doing a lot of dorm shopping this week. (To read more about my college plans, check out this post!) But in addition to buying all the necessities, I have to remember to decorate my dorm and truly make it mine. This DIY is one thing that will definitely find a home somewhere in my dorm room. I love how it turned out! I was actually inspired by something I found on Etsy and decided to just make it myself! 

You can choose any word you want for this project, or even shrink the letters a bit and fit in a whole phrase! I added pom-pom trim to mine (leftover from this DIY), but feel free to customize it any way you want. I'm thinking of adding some tassels later!





Materials:

  • white or off-white fabric*
  • scissors
  • piece of pom-pom trim
  • different colors of felt (one for each of the letters)
  • sewing machine
  • coordinating thread
  • coordinating embroidery thread
  • embroidery needle
  • wooden dowel
  • piece of yarn
  • hot glue
*The heavier your fabric, the better. I think this DIY would turn out really nice with canvas, though I used a lighter cotton fabric.



Step 1: Cut out a banner shape from the white fabric. On the back, I drew where I wanted the letters to be so that I knew how big to cut it. Next, fold over the edges so that you will not be able to see the raw edges when it is finished. Use an iron to crease them, but do not sew yet.


Step 2: Lay the pom-pom trim along the folded bottom edge and pin in place. Now sew along all the edges.


Step 3: Cut out your letters and place them on the banner. Pin in place.


Step 4: Thread your embroidery needle and stitch along the sides of all the letters.


Step 5: Place the wooden dowel along the top edge of the banner. Fold the fabric over to cover it. Use small dots of hot glue to secure. Tie the yarn on both sides.


It's perfect! I hope you loved this DIY as much as I did! I particularly liked being able to pick colors that will coordinate perfectly with the rest of my dorm room. And, of course, I love pom-pom trim!



No comments:

Post a Comment