DIY Beach Cover-Up

8:00 AM




As you know, I recently came back from a trip in Mexico! (I recapped my trip here and here.) I knew there was going to be a lot of pool and beach time, so I decided to sew up this cover-up before I left for my trip. It was as I was working on this project that I discovered my deep love for pom-pom trim! It instantly made the cover-up so much cuter! I found my pom-pom trim at Joann's. You can buy it by the yard or by the roll. I'm trying to think of more ways to use it, like on a tote bag or a scarf. We'll see what I come up with!

Anyway, if you'd like to make this cover-up for yourself, follow the steps below!




Materials:
  • scissors
  • sewing machine
  • fabric* (see note below)
  • 3 yards of pom-pom trim
  • coordinating thread
  • pins
  • T-shirt
  • measuring tape
*Fabric comes in two different widths, 45" or 60". If the fabric you pick out is 60" wide, buy 1.5 yards. If it's 45" wide, buy 2 yards.

As I was typing up the instructions for this post, I discovered that it was really hard to describe everything! So I created this graphic to help you visualize it. It corresponds with the written steps below. So if you start to get confused, just refer to the graphic!


Step 1: First, measure from your neckline down to wherever you want your cover-up to end. Record this number. (Mine was 27".) Multiply it by two. Now cut your fabric so that it is that number by 45". (The dimensions of my cut fabric was 54" x 45".) Fold this cut fabric in half lengthwise. (After I folded mine it measured 27" x 45".) Find the center of the folded fabric and make a mark. Fold your T-shirt in half and place the folded edge of the T-shirt along this center line. Position the neckline of the T-shirt along the folded edge of your fabric.

Step 2: Now measure 3" down from the sleeve and draw a horizontal line. Then, measure 5" to the right of the T-shirt and draw a vertical line. These two lines should form a rectangle.



Step 3: Cut along these lines. Flip the T-shirt around and repeat on the other side of the fabric. Make sure the two rectangles that you cut out are the exact same size. Now your cut fabric should look like the letter 'T'.  Take your scissors and cut the top layer of fabric up the center. Only cut the top layer! You can see my cuts in the picture above.

Step 4: Pin along the edges where you cut out the identical rectangles. Sew along these edges only. Repeat on the other side. The cover-up is currently inside-out so that when you fold it right-side out, the seams will be hidden inside.


Step 5: After you finish sewing the underarm seams, fold the cuffs of the sleeves over twice. Pin in place and sew. Repeat with the other raw edges of the cover-up (see graphic above). Be sure you fold all the edges over the right way so that when you turn the cover-up right-side out, you can't see any of the seams or the raw edges of the fabric.


Step 6: Turn the cover-up right-side out. Now take your pom-pom trim. Pin it along the inside of the cuff of one sleeve. Cut off the excess. Repeat with the other sleeve and around the bottom edge of the cover-up. Sew on.


You're done! Now all you have to do is head to the pool/beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment