Summer Galette with Tomato, Zucchini, and Corn

9:07 AM

This summer, my family had our annual "Birthday Bash". It's a day when we all get together--aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents--to celebrate the birthdays of all the adults. It usually involves a gift exchange for the adults and a raffle for everybody, including the kids/teenagers.

Well, this year I won my great grandma's rolling pin. It's old with red handles. And I love it. I love baking, and now I have something I'll take to my own kitchen someday that has some family history attached.

So, on to the point of this random tangent. I proceeded, after receiving this rolling pin, to check out books about pies from the library. So I could use this said rolling pin.

That's when something unexpected happened. Instead of fruit pies, I was drawn to making a savory galette. On the way to my last vacation on the coast, we stopped at a restaurant for lunch and I had a galette with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and caramelized onions. That sealed the deal. It was so delicious, I was convinced I just had to make my own. So I did! And got to use my rolling pin! Mission accomplished. 



I found this galette on Smitten Kitchen. It was sooo good (and fairly easy to make!). It had tomatoes, zucchini, corn, green onions, and, of course, some parmesan cheese. Think of it as a fancy pizza!
 

When making the dough, use your hands! Don't be shy. In one of the pie books I checked out, it said that every pair of hands makes pie dough slightly different. For some reason, I like that idea. Plus, you get a feel for the dough, instead of relying on a tool or machine.



All the delicious summer veggies! Summer meals just have to have lots of color. It's a requirement.


After cooking the vegetables, lay them out on a plate to help them cool before wrapping it all up in dough.


Roll out the dough and pile up the veggies.


Cheese, please! You can grate the cheese by hand or just buy the cheese already grated.


Fold over the edges.


Brush with egg yolk (so that the dough comes out of the oven looking golden brown and shiny!). Sprinkle with more cheese.


Ready for consumption.





Ingredients:

//For the dough//
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour (I recommend the former)
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup ice water

//For the filling//
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
3 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
1 ear of corn, with the corn cut from the cob (or you can try using 1 cup of frozen corn if you want)
1 zucchini or summer squash, diced
1 bundle (3 to 4 ounces) scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated parmesan

//For brushing the dough//
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon water


1// Whisk the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and use your fingers to work it into the dough.

2// Stir together the sour cream, lemon juice, and water in a small bowl, then add it to the butter and flour mixture. Use your hands again to mix in the liquid ingredients.

3// Shape the dough into a ball, then wrap it in plastic and refrigerator for 1 hour (or up to 2 days). My dough was sticky.

4//  To make the filling, put the olive oil, tomatoes, and salt in a sauté pan. Add some red pepper flakes if you'd like. Cover the pan and heat over high heat. Stir the tomatoes around every so often. Once most of the tomatoes have burst, remove the lid, turn down the heat to medium, and add the zucchini.

5// Sauté for two more minutes, until the zucchini is soft. Add the corn. Cook for one more minute.

6// Stir in the scallions and turn off the heat. Add a dash of salt and pepper.

7// Spread out the filling on a large plate to help it cool faster. Ideally, it should be room temperature before wrapping it in the dough.

8// Preheat the oven to 400°F.

9// On a floured parchment paper, roll out the dough until it's a 12-inch circle. It doesn't have to be perfect. My dough was still really sticky, but the floured surface and floured rolling pin helped a lot.

10// Transfer the parchment paper, with the rolled-out dough, to a baking sheet. Pile the filling into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border, and sprinkle on most of the parmesan cheese, leaving just a bit for the crust.

11// Fold the dough over the filling, brush the crust with the egg yolk/water mixture, and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan cheese.

12// I left my galette in the oven for about 28 minutes, but check yours occasionally. Every oven is different. According to Smitten Kitchen, it takes 30-40 minutes to bake. Just know that it is finished when the crust is puffed and golden brown.

13// After letting the galette stand for about five minutes, slide it onto a serving plate. When ready to serve, cut it into wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment