My Second Quilt

7:00 PM


I know what you're thinking... a second quilt?? Well, after I finished my first quilt, I had such a strong desire to make another one, so I decided to just go for it. I did no planning ahead of time and didn't even think about the colors. I just improvised as I went along.



The quilt top is made completely of fabric scraps from previous projects. It was such a good use of all those little pieces of fabric I had! It's also a much cheaper way to make a quilt. I just pulled out my stash and got to work cutting out 4-inch squares. I didn't follow a pattern or anything. I just kept cutting squares until my quilt was 45" x 60", the size of my batting.


I did go to Joann for the blue backing and the pink border, since I needed large continuous pieces for both of those. I love the color of the back. It's such a pretty blue! My cat likes it too, I guess.


This quilt is perfectly imperfect. With my first quilt, I tried to cut as precisely as possible and used a strict 1/4" seam allowance. With this quilt, my main goal was simply to finish it. My corners don't match up, my lines aren't straight, but as long as you don't look too closely, it really doesn't matter. And now I have another quilt that I totally love! (Even with it's imperfections.)


I'm leaving for college tomorrow and am trying to decide which quilt to take with me. I decided to keep one at home and bring one to my apartment. But I honestly can't decide which one I like better!! They are both so special.

This was such a fun project and I'm so glad I went for it, even though I had absolutely no clue what it was going to look like in the end. I am seriously on a quilt-making kick now. I already want to make another one!

No comments:

Post a Comment