Pear Cranberry Pie

11:53 AM


One of my favorite things about fall is baking. During the summer, baking makes me hot, sweaty, and frustrated... and having to heat up the oven to 400°F doesn't help. But during the fall and winter, when there are clouds outside and I'm indoors with my tea, all I want to do is tie my apron on and get out the flour!



This is my first fall season of blogging and I'm loving it so far. And this post in particular is especially a big deal for me. Why, you ask? 

This is my first time developing my very own recipe.

I know it's just a pie. But in my heart it's a big deal. And I found that developing recipes is really fun! It gives baking a creative aspect.

I hope you like it! I tried something a little different with the pie crust: adding juice from the filling. I think it helped blend the flavors of the pie crust and filling together. And it made the dough thinner and easier to work with.

One more thing: I really love cranberries. I kind of fell in love with them while testing this recipe. They are soooo beautiful and festive! And they taste amazing--a little sweet, a little tart. 



So anyway, you're probably wanting the recipe, right? Your wish is my command.




Pear Cranberry Pie

Ingredients
    For the filling:
  • 4 firm pears, peeled and sliced
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • dash of ground nutmeg
  • pinch of salt

  • For the pie crust:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (or white whole wheat flour, as I prefer)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 3 tbsp cold water

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Combine sliced pears, dried cranberries, and fresh or frozen cranberries in medium bowl. Add sugar and spices. Stir. Let sit.

Make the pie crust by combining the salt and flour in a bowl. Cut the butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture. Use your hands to incorporate the butter into the flour. Add the water.

Strain some of the liquid from the pear and cranberry mixture. Add about two tablespoons of the juice to the pie crust. Use your hands to combine until it forms a workable dough.

Roll out your dough on a floured surface. Place it into a pie pan and flute the edges. I found this tutorial to be very helpful. Brush the pie crust with an egg white.

Strain the rest of the liquid from your fruits. Pour the fruit (without the strained liquid) into the pie crust. Create a pie crust shield using aluminum foil to prevent the edges from browning too much in the oven.

Place your pie in the lower third level of the oven. Bake the pie at 425°F for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 350°F and bake for another 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment